Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 956 times)

Jeshin Offline

Introductions
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:32:33 AM »
Let people know who you are, what games you're playing, why you're here, and whatever else you like.

Many Faces Offline

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 12:57:18 AM »
Here I'll be Many Faces.  It seemed appropriate on many levels.  I am a long time RPer, game designer, and programmer.  I really would like to finish one of my countless personal projects before I die.

I am not currently playing any MUD but I am in the design phase for a codebase and MUD.  It will be in C++.  I am debating whether or not to release a public version of the engine if I finish it.

Tehom Offline

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
Hi! I'm Tehom, the lead developer for Arx. I played MUDs in my youth, but stopped around the time Everquest was released, replacing them entirely with MMOs. I was involved in a few RP communities in various MMOs that were analogous to MUSHes.

My brother got back into MU* a few years ago (FiranMUX, followed by a few different WoD MUSHes), and asked me to help him create one. We stumbled upon Evennia, and I began to learn Python in order to develop it.

Jeshin Offline

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
I am Jeshin

I staffed for close to a decade on the Sea of Storms which was an RP mud but not quite an RPI. After that I played on Armageddon for a few years, SOI 3.0 Laketown, Sindome, Haven 3.0, Burning Post 2 very briefly, The Inquisition also briefly, Kushiel's Debut several times, and several other games. I'm perhaps most well known for the delayed/failed development of Project Redshift and of course the original Optional Realities which lost its database.

I am currently running a tabletop variant of the Project Redshift setting, learning python, restarting Optional Realities, and hoping to have a PRS lite codebase completed in 18 months.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:27:00 AM by Jeshin »

NV Offline

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:19:06 AM »
I'm NV, a developer working under Tehom on Arx, which is my first true MU*. I have years of MUSHlike encounter-crafting experience in games like EverQuest 1 & 2 while leading roleplay guilds. I'm also learning Python. Video games, game development & psychology, and illustration have all been passions of mine for as long as I can remember. It'll be a pleasure to read everyone's ideas :)

Clarity Offline

• Game Developer
  • Poster
  • I'd rather be reading.
    • Nyssa#1403
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:00:22 AM »
I'm Clarity and I've been both game developer, owner and roleplayer for over a decade and a half now. I started out with the original Smaug, Realms of Despair, and it wasn't long before I was dragged over to one of the first RP Muds, Eternal Struggle. There, I met some amazing people and made my first steps into the RP world.

A couple of years later, myself and my then partner was starting our own game, Shadow Siege (original fantasy), and then later on, Dark Isles (original fantasy) and then worked on Carrier with Sab (survival horror). In between staffing and running games, I also played Eternal Visions, Harshlands, The Inquisition: Legacy, Haven, and most recently Arx.

Currently not playing on any MU* or MUD, but am working on a tabletop style setting for Project Redshift and enjoying dabbling and working my way through the Evennia code. While no stranger to development, python is new to me, and it's been a surprisingly quick learning curve to pick things up so far.

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.” Winston S. Churchill

Reiloth Offline

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
Hello,

I am Reiloth. I played ArmageddonMUD for 15 years, and Staffed under the moniker Eurynomos as Storyteller and Administrator for three (From 2011-2015, with two breaks inbetween).

I'm currently not playing a MUD/MU*, but poking around and also offering my knowledge and opinions from having both played and Staffed for a significant chunk of time. I'm also curious to see what others have to say, and contribute, especially considering game theory and development.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:56:12 PM by Reiloth »
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done—so therefore you may never know life of peace." ~ Jack Vance

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »
Ruckover here. I'm a software developer who picked up MUDs in early highschool because it was all my crappy computer and shitty country internet could handle at the time. Before that I was a forum RPer (shudders) and played all sorts of cringey forum RPs like Harry Potter and Naruto. My first mud was the wotmud, which I hated. I then found TSOS and fell in love. I played there for four or so years, eventually joining staff as an assistant coder, although I only worked on a handful of projects.

At Jeshin's recommendation I tried out Armageddon and loved it. I still play to this day, although I log in infrequently. I've also played some dabbled in a Shadow Run mud, Exalted mud, and played dozens of tabletop RPGs. By far the most enjoyable aspect of these games is how much there is to discover, and how little help there is to find things. It's not like WoW where there is a website to answer any questions, you have to do the experiments and legwork yourself. I'm primarily here to watch out for any Muds that will spark my interest and draw me in, I often start finding muds less enjoyable once I've experienced most of the areas and learned how to keep a character alive and relevant to the point of boredom.

Orin Offline

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 05:32:24 PM »
Hi, I'm Orin.  I'm a network/systems administrator by day, gamer of all types by night.  Often you can find me as the DM of a D&D 3.5e/5e campaign, spinning up VPS's to host various Steam games, and ranting about networking related issues that no one understands.  I live in Seattle and am very much a Seahawks fan.

I've played several RPI's in the past - ArmageddonMUD and Atonement primarily.  These days I have taken a step back due to both time I have available to invest in them, as well as disagreements with staff.
That which I am is not which I was; I am what I am

Bidmork Offline

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »
Bidmork here (name pulled out of my ass).

I play ARM mostly for nostalgia reasons. My favorite times were when I was back at U. Iowa in the early 90's. College, the best cinnamon buns in the world (bakery in Coralville), best mocha I've ever had (Seattle coffee company? Seattle's Best? I forget), great library at U.Iowa, and cold as hell winters. But like most things, time has erased the bakery and Starbucks bought out that coffee place . I programmed on a few muds way back then but can't even remember the names.

As for computer games, I usually prefer single player strategy games like the Civilization series.
My career was in software engineering/science and I worked on many projects over the years. It's been a fun ride.

I read the GDB, shadowboard, and TMC so I see all the drama going on. What surprised me most was all the people on the shadowboard who I thought were part of the in-crowd outing themselves and burning bridges (including Jeshin). I knew a lot of these characters in game and it's been jarring.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:12:12 PM »
Hello, I am redacted. I play redacted. I have staffed on redacted.

Leech Offline

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 02:57:14 AM »
Damn you, Redacted.

----

I started MUDding on the IRE MUD Achaea, before switching over to and staying at Aetolia for some odd-number of tiny-teen years. Since then, I've played at Accursed Lands, Dark Isles, Burning Post II, The Inquisition: Legacy, Haven, Arx, and most recently LabMUD. I staffed at The Inquisition: Legacy for a short time, running small RP arcs and building a small amount. Recently, I tried creating something with the Evennia codebase, found coding not to my liking, and moved on.

When it comes to setting, my taste runs far and wide, from modern-day horror to medieval political conflict. For me, no amount of code can scratch that need for real, substantial change to happen to my character; for that, one needs to throw themselves into the deep end of some heavy roleplay where meaningful decisions result in substantial change to the character's status quo. I think of it like a TV show, or those old serialized novels, where you go through several arcs of stasis, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution within the life and adventures of one character.

I'm on the tail-end of a BA in Secondary Education with an emphasis in English. I hope to spin that into an MFA in Creative Writing.

Leah Offline

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
I am Leah.

When I was 11, I landed my first building gig on Dragonball Infinite. In DBI, I was Washuu. (Tenchi Muyo)

I built the original world for the Burning Post 1 (Not the current iteration) and determined the theme as apart from The Inquisition's base theme, alongside Sarif and Dot (among others).
In BP1, I was Caitlin. (I stole the name from Jowy's lover in a Suikoden 2 fanfic) In BP2, I was Sam (which is my real name)

I built and coded on a number of MUDs in my preteen and early teen years. Staffing on MUDs is not worth it. I wouldn't do it again and don't recommend it to anyone.

I have grown to be picky with MUDs. I won't play MUSHes or MOOs or any variants (because of the command syntax) and I prefer to play in settings that share at least a basic level of theme with Vampire: the Masquerade (and affiliated games) -- Unfortunately, the majority of V:tM games are MUSHes and MOOs.

I played Haven in beta, in 1.0, in 2.5, and 3.0-- I continue yet because I enjoy the theme, the extensive coded capabilities, and because I love Disco, and Sarah, and Amatsuka. On Haven, I am Leah. Send me a tell.

I played AtonementRPI, and so I find it impossible to enjoy SOI or other similar games. The bar is too high. In ARPI, I was Leah and Chelsea.

I was once a major member of the Optional Realities community, but friendships slip away and I've been known to be toxic, an unfortunate aspect of my personality that I'm trying to be rid of. In OR1, I was Leah.

I will be available for discussion and MUDding until the fall semester starts.  I'm also available for wifi matches in Smash Bros for Wii U. If you can't catch me here, Skype me at skeezehax. All are welcome.

Kithrater Offline

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
I'm Kithrater. I've founded some MUDs, staffed some MUDs, and played some MUDs for over 20 years.

Most relevant for those here is that I co-founded Atonement and was one of the original staff for Shadows of Isildur.

About the only good thing that ever came from any of it was meeting my wife and having a couple of lines of fodder for my resume.

These days, I mostly play Dota2.

I'm unsure if this forum is alive or not, but it looks like it has some interesting old posts to work my way through all the same.

Inept Offline

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
I'm Inept! (disclaimer: This claim may or may not be intended to be literal.)

ArmageddonMUD was my first MUD, and in many senses, my only. I've dabbled in others in the few years I've been on the scene, but none have managed to hold my attention the way Arm has. I still play it, and have no plans to stop.

I'm also coding my own MUD engine from scratch in Golang, mostly for fun, and with no real ambition. So far, at least. I'm here to appropriate any cool ideas I might stumble across. And gain perspective and stuff. <.<