Author Topic: Stocks you're watching  (Read 2304 times)

Orin Offline

Stocks you're watching
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:18:01 PM »
So it sounds like Jeshin used to be big time with trading in the oil markets.  I've never had much luck with picking stocks until recently when I decided to say, "fuck it I'm just going to play around."  I have always been a big advocate for Bitcoin, and found a couple penny stocks that looked undervalued which were operating with a focus on Bitcoin.

OTCMKTS:BITCF
OTCMKTS:MGTI

I bought in to BITCF when it was at 0.05 a share, sold at 0.36... I have a problem with trying to call the peak and bottom apparently. 

In any case, are you watching any stocks?

Got any idea on how the markets are going, or did you find an article you felt was worth sharing/discussing? Post it here!
That which I am is not which I was; I am what I am

Jeshin Offline

Re: Stocks you're watching
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
As I was once classified as a professional trader for the purpose of my exchange fees. I can't technically provide any sort of advice beyond commenting on what I see on the chart with a disclaimer in every post indicating it doesn't constitute financial advice and that readers should always speak with a professional money manager before taking investments. If I had a series 7 I could say a lot more. Anyway I'll post on this over the weekend with some thoughts.

Orin Offline

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 02:46:51 PM »
I'm more curious about cannabis stocks now, which seem like they're all over the place.  Some make gains of 10% in a day while others putter around.

The BITCF stock seems like an anomaly and may fade over time.  They've been around for 5+ years and only recently developed something worth talking about, which got people interested in it.

Many Faces Offline

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:28:09 PM »
Bit coins and weed?  I only invest in growth industries, like militias and radical fringe groups.  The projected return is having my face(s) on the new currency.

Orin Offline

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
I like the idea of newer markets and developing technologies which have a higher potential for growth.  Cannabis is one of those that is not yet legal in all U.S. states, so thus has potential for further growth before stagnating.  Bitcoin is an emerging technology which has numerous benefits over traditional currencies.  I understand the hesitancy behind investing in either of these, but maybe I'm simply more open to risk when it comes to investments.

Many Faces Offline

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 12:29:45 AM »
You do realize there is literally nothing stopping the federal government from cracking down on weed, right?  It's illegal at the federal level.  The risk is huge.

Orin Offline

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 01:01:55 AM »
 According to governing.com, 8/50 states have legalized recreational cannabis.  While that's not quite 20%, it's still inching up there.  Medical cannabis states are now at what, 28ish? I think it's safe to say that many voters are tired of paying taxes to lock up kids for smoking cannabis.  You pay more in those taxes than you gain in trying to keep it illegal.  In that respect, the times are changing.  I suppose part of why I asked this was because I've been reading about these lately:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/05/a-new-investor-high-the-first-etf-to-target-marijuana-stocks-launches.html

You are right though, it could change drastically in a year from now.  Everything could be different, though what if these stocks only continue to grow?

Many Faces Offline

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
I'm not debating whether or not it should be legal.  I'm saying the states don't have the authority to make it legal because they are trumped by federal law.  It really only takes one attorney general deciding to enforce federal law to put the whole weed industry into free fall.  That strikes me as a huge risk to consider for investors.

Jeshin Offline

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:53:19 PM »
When it comes to the medical marijuana industry they are still having an issue finding banks to work with their companies. Obviously, a publicly traded company has overcome this hurdle but the industry as a whole is on some very shaky ground. I personally don't invest in penny stocks because that's not where my trading methodology allows me to have a statistical advantage. If you do invest in penny stocks though realize that the risk is 100% capital loss. While it might only be 100 - 500 - 1000 USD and not a significant cash sum to you the fact is penny stocks are unique in their illiquidity and chance of being de-listed or having no one to take the other side of a trade to exit the stock pick.

I am also leery of investing much in the market as it's near all-time highs and there's FED rate hikes along with potential military action going on. Lots of risk out there, to much for me.

Jeshin Offline

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
I am currently watching http://www.saudiaramco.com/en/home.html , they are offering 5% of their company in an IPO this year. There are disputes about the valuation being between 1.3 trillion and 1.5 trillion. I'm not watching for any monetary gain but because this company is objectively the geopolitical arm of the country and even though it is being transferred wholesale to a holding investment company to be offered as an IPO, that company is also state run by the royal family. It should be a very interesting IPO and the affect on crude could be more significant than people realize.

Orin Offline

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
Seems like there's talk about oil discoveries being very low this last year.  Jeshin, since you're the oil baron of the board, what do you make of this?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/global-crude-oil-discoveries-plunge-to-record-low-and-its-gonna-get-worse.html

Seems to me that it could cause oil prices to trend upward if discoveries don't increase.  Our usage is always climbing but reserves may not keep pace.

Jeshin Offline

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »
Oil discoveries aren't as big a deal as you might think. It's important to understand that the reason that oil dropped to 40-55 on the futures market is because inventory reached +90%. In fact inventory was actually closer to +98% because a trick that the oil industry does is putting shipments at sea for "delivery" and then leaving the boats out there just hanging out outside of port. In this way the oil is officially listed as in transit and that way the seller of the oil can claim it's to market and there doesn't have to be a buyer because it never reaches port.

You see there are active and inactive "rigs" which means there is oil down there but for some reason the price that oil is going for is to low and it's inactive and not pumping or it's sufficient and the rig is onlined. They track it in articles like: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-07/oil-rigs-rise-12-straight-weeks-threaten-oil-price-recovery

So basically we go from 120 crude to 50 crude, lots and lots of oil production is offlined in order to save that oil for when the price rises and it's actually profitable to bring it up. Ergo price goes up, more oil production comes back online, more oil gets consumed. Lack of new oil discovery won't affect the market for awhile yet. It's not like the Saud's are discovering new oil in the middle-east :P they've been doing just fine with their existing deposits and are still the highest volume producers in barrels per day BPD.

Orin Offline

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
After a successful few months day trading ups/downs on BITCF and SING, I sold everything off.  Found out while my funds were settling that BITCF is under SEC investigation now, and anyone who holds it is in limbo.  You were right, pink sheets can be pretty sketchy.

MGTI
https://www.google.com/finance?q=OTCMKTS%3AMGTI&ei=yYGlWejLE4SfjAGg5KOoDg

MGTI actually is investing in a bitcoin mining operation in my home state of Washington, so that's kind of cool.  The antminer S9 ASIC is the top tier ASIC at present and Washington has very low electric costs (near eastern Washington anyway).  Going to try to ride the wave with this one.