What type of prompt do you prefer?

Numeric value
1 (25%)
Bars
0 (0%)
Something else
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: MUD prompt system - numeric or not?  (Read 1932 times)

Orin Offline

MUD prompt system - numeric or not?
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »
Many MUDs have a prompt system which allows the user to quickly determine their character's health, mana, stamina, or other methods of determining various statistics.  In some situations we see prompts like:

hp 100/100, mana 98/100, move 55/100>

and in others we see:

<**** / ^^^^^^ / ||||| / hidden>

What is your preferred prompt type? Would you rather have a game give you a numeric value eg. Dungeons and Dragons hit points, or more of a health "bar" giving you just a gauge of how healthy or alive your are?
That which I am is not which I was; I am what I am

Lore Offline

Re: MUD prompt system - numeric or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »
Without experience with the system, I would only know what 'hidden' means in the second example you gave. There would be a learning curve if that was the first thing a new player saw.

Clarity Offline

• Game Developer
  • Poster
  • I'd rather be reading.
    • Nyssa#1403
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »
Personally I tend to prefer no prompt at all and just a >.  I know, from having talked to a few friends who use screen readers, they find the visual bars a pain, so I would definitely veer away from those or at least give players the option to turn it off.
“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.” Winston S. Churchill

Many Faces Offline

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:24:05 PM »
I'm a pretty big fan of customized prompts.  Start with ">" by default and let players decide what they want in there.

Clarity Offline

• Game Developer
  • Poster
  • I'd rather be reading.
    • Nyssa#1403
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 04:57:07 AM »
I like the idea of setting a combat prompt, and then a standard prompt. So when I'm roleplaying it's is just: >  And then when I'm in combat it might be: Healthy > or Health: 100% >
“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.” Winston S. Churchill

Reiloth Offline

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »
Being able to customize the prompt seems pretty important to me. I've tried 'visual prompts' like shown in the OP, but they never really sat right with me. Which is weird, i'm typically a visual person/visual minded. I suppose it seems easier for me to misunderstand and think I have more health than I actually have, or something. A number is a number is a number.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done—so therefore you may never know life of peace." ~ Jack Vance