Author Topic: RP Mud/Mu* Dealbreakers  (Read 2380 times)

Clarity Offline

• Game Developer
  • Poster
  • I'd rather be reading.
    • Nyssa#1403
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
RP Mud/Mu* Dealbreakers
« on: May 05, 2017, 06:43:08 AM »
I was discussing in the Discord chat today and referred to a list of minimum requirements and deal breakers, things I can't live without on any RP Mud or MU I play. So here's a few of mine:-

+ Must have either a reasonable amount of players to make off peak playing more viable.
+ Must allow for speech to be used in emotes (not seperate say/emote)
+ Must not utilise levels or classes.
+ Must still be viable for the casual player.
+ Must have character customisations, through objects, descriptions, etc.

Ideally should have, but not necessarily deal breakers:-
+ Automated xp/rpp award system
+ Original theme
+ Friendly and inclusive staff and player base
+ Reasonable documentation
+ No kid policies
+ No rape policies
+ A newbie or OOC communication channel

Do you have a deal breaker and/or a minimum requirements list? How flexible are you on them?
“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.” Winston S. Churchill

Leech Offline

Re: RP Mud/Mu* Dealbreakers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »
I think my only two deal breakers might be: your MUD needs to use an appropriate amount of color (not too much but not none at all) and whenever you list things (like score) they must be organized in a logical sense.

Both these are very subjective and specific to me. I couldn't tell you how a MUD could meet those two criteria, but I could definitely tell you which MUDs I flat out won't play because of them. Hint: one of them is a Armageddon.

Jeshin Offline

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
What if the playerbase of a game provides a config file with colorcoding for a MUD that has to much or to little and it's very easy to find/use?

Leech Offline

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
If I really, really liked the premise, that would probably be acceptable; but it's almost like a principle thing at that point.  8)

Jeshin Offline

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »
Well lets explore the principle thing, because I actually used to provide a MUSHclient config file with numerous quality of life improvements to the Armageddon experience. Stuff like basic information aliases, color coding based on threat, and stuff that made outputs easier to sift through like failure/success at foraging.

Anyway so...

Option 1 - Staff provide a color code config but the game itself does not support color code either because of engine limitations or lack of drive to go through all the rooms/items/outputs.

Option 2 - Playerbase provide a color code config but the game  itself does not support color code either because of engine limitations or lack of drive to go through all the rooms/items/outputs.

Option 3 - There is no color code support but the game appeals to you. Do you make your own color code config and provide it to other players?

Which if any of these options would you personally find acceptable based on end user experience and/or principal?

Many Faces Offline

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
Do you have a deal breaker and/or a minimum requirements list? How flexible are you on them?
I'm pretty flexible, myself.

Requirements:
* Clear, coherent rules in a single, easily-found place
* Consistent enforcement of those rules; no arbitrary decisions to punish or reward people outside of the rules
* The ability to keep myself entertained by what exists in the game when staff aren't running something
* Reasonable or hands-off staff

Nice to haves:
* Good role players
* Originality
* Novelty
* Game balance
* Unrestricted PvP without the game feeling like hack-and-slash

Cartheon Offline

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
I don't have hard and fast deal makers and deal breakers.  I have a list of likes and dislikes that when taken together determine if I will play the game.

Positives:
- Guest account so I can poke around and check the place out before going through the rigamarole of chargen.
- Roster system
- Original theme
- Code-heavy
- 20+ players
- Casual friendly
- No levels or classes

Negatives:
- WoD and/or it's dicepool resolution mechanics
- Any tabletop resolution mechanic (Tabletop mechanics are meant to be simple because it's humans doing the calculating.  MU*s run on computers.  Utilize that distinction.)
- Shitty documentation/wiki
- Railroad meta-analysis
- Cliched theme/setting/races (at least put some effort into making your elves different)

Many Faces Offline

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:41:46 PM »
- Roster system
- Railroad meta-analysis
What do you mean by these two things?  Would you elaborate; I have not encountered these terms before?